I don't find any way to get progress info for ongoing WEBDAV GET and PUT from C++ REST SDK.

May 16, 2013 at 6:41 AM
Hi,

I am having HTTP client created using C++ REST SDK. I don't see any way to get progress info for ongoing WEBDAV put and get .

Please suggest.

Regards
Prashant
May 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Right, our task objects only allow you to see completion. For each request, there's two objects:
  1. The response headers are available, and
  2. The body is completely available.
That doesn't tell you anything about how an upload is going, which is what I think you're asking for.

Any thoughts on how to best surface that in the API? What would you like to see?

Niklas
May 16, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Upload/Download sends bytes in chunks. Considering this ,

For upload: total bytes to send, how many bytes done so far .For every bytes chunk done. This can come in some callback registered with request. This will help in showing live progress in % to the ui.

Similarly, total bytes to download, how many bytes downloaded so far.

You can take an example of BackgroundUploader and BackgroundDownloader classes from WinRT. There sample example has shown how uploadProgress /downloadProgress can be receive in a callback.

Regards
Prashant
Coordinator
May 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Hi Prashant,

For the download side you could get the response body as a stream using the method http_response::body(). Then you can read the bytes in whatever size chunks you would like and compare with the ContentLength, if it was included. Would this work?

Steve
May 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Hi Steve,
Currently I am using http_request

void set_response_stream(
concurrency::streams::ostream stream
);

This gives response in streams a asynchronously.

As per my flow, I have storagefile created with the downloaded file extension. I want to write my downloaded file bytes in this file which is working fine.

Prashant
May 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM
The stream solution would be a temporary solution, I think. What I would suggest doing, is to leverage the PPL asynchronous agents library by allowing you to get a progress data source from the request and a separate one from the response (you'd have to wait for the headers to come in before hooking up the target).

Alternatively, to simplify it further (at the expense of generality), we could just allow you to hook a callback function object to the request/response.

Niklas
May 17, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Looking into generic solution for all users of this library. I would vote for alternative solution.
If it will be provided from library as given below or more precisely like other libraries are providing.

(I have used other HTTP client libraries in my previous project . Like libcurl. )

So, it remain part of the library to get the WEBDAV GET/PUT progress info . Mostly, library provides callback with some parameters like following:

Upload: Total bytes to upload, total bytes done so far.
            The callback will hit for each chunk and provides above info.
Similarly for download.

Download: Total bytes to download, total bytes downloaded so far.

I am using C++ REST SDK as well as BackgruondUploader(WinRT class) and BackgroundDownloader (WinRT class) in my metro app. I am able to get progress info from WinRT classes though unable to get it from Casablanca.

Hoping the best.

Prashant
May 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Here's what I suggest:

A single callback, attached to the request object (can't use the convenience versions of http_client::request()), which takes a function object with the following profile:
void progress_handler(bool up, size_t processed_so_far)
{ 
}
Since there may not be a known content length, it would be the application's responsibility to understand how much of the overall body the 'so-far' amount represents. The callback, if set, would be called at least once, even for zero-sized bodies. The only situation in which it would not get called is when an exception (not an HTTP error message, a C++ exception) is generated in the processing -- a network error, for example.

How does that sound?

Niklas
May 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Two queries on this:

1) What's the significance of first parameter? Is it to detect upload or download.

2) In case of upload app can know how many total bytes to upload are available. And your callback will give processed_so_far. So calculating progress will be fine.

What about download? How the app will have total bytes to receive along with processed_so_far.
If I am correct server always provide Content Length for WebDav GET response header.

What's your call on this?

Prashant
May 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1) Yes.
2) The library usually knows less than the application about the size of the content, which is why I thinks it makes sense to not have the library guess what percentage the number represents. I don't know about WebDAV, but in general HTTP terms, the Content-Length header is not always guaranteed to be there. If it is, then that is how you would get the total size. Streaming scenarios, for example, don't usually have a length. If so, there's nothing either the application or the library can do.

Niklas
May 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM
If that is the case, than the progress_handler which you suggested should be fine.

Prashant
May 18, 2013 at 4:58 AM
Niklas,

I have one more query.

The second parameter processed_so_far is of size_t ?

What is the significance of this parameter. Is it going to tell how many bytes are processed so far. Or how much % processed so far.

If its bytes: don't you think it should be unsigned long long to accommodate bigger sizes.

If its %: than how the library is deciding this value. I mean library may not have ContentLength as we discussed earlier. So how this figure is calculated?

Prashant
May 18, 2013 at 6:28 AM
Edited May 18, 2013 at 6:29 AM
It would definitely be the raw number of bytes loaded (up or down) so far, not the % (that was my point before -- the library won't know any better than the application).

Sure, the size could be uint64_t or something like that, instead. Of course, if you're up- or down-loading something bigger than 4GB, you may want to consider using something a bit more sophisticated than a simple HTTP request (something that can restart where it left off, for example).

Niklas
May 18, 2013 at 7:11 AM
Ok. Than progress_handler should be fine.

We have taken care of partial upload/ download in our implementation.

This progress_handler implementation will be available with new release?

Prashant
May 20, 2013 at 2:41 AM
No, unfortunately, I can't promise that. The next release is imminent, the bits have been cut and we're just waiting for a few formalities before posting it. This change is straight-forward, though, and I already have it prototyped, so it should be in the one release after that.

Going forward, it is our intent (let's see if we can deliver on that intent) to release updates much more frequently. Lately, we have been working on getting the Casablanca functionality into Visual Studio, so we've been busy with that, but we should be able to get bits out on CodePlex more often now.

Niklas
May 20, 2013 at 3:52 PM
OK.
Thanks for your prompt action on my request.
Jul 15, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Steve,
   Is the progress handler available in the july 8 release?
And while downloading, is it like -
Response fetches the entire object and then we can read from response in chunks?
or is it also possible that we can have even response as a small chunk of object to be downloaded?

project that i am working on right now, needs to download the very large objects (may be even terra bytes) in chunks of 16 MB. So, what i am looking for is to have the response itself of size 16 MB. Is it possible with casablanca?

Thanks in advance
Coordinator
Jul 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Yes the progress handler feature is available in the latest release. Take a look at http_request::set_progress_handler. One thing to keep in mind this feature only helps notify you about the chunks that have been uploaded/downloaded. In your case you need the actual data chunks of the response, which already was possible without this feature.

It sounds like you have two options. One is to make a basic GET request and read the response in 16 MB chunks as it is streamed from the server. This can be done using the http_response::body() method which returns a stream to the underlying HTTP response body. A second option, instead of trying to get the whole object all at once, is to request individual chunks of it at a time. This can be done using the Range request HTTP header. You could make requests in 16 MB chunks as needed. If the data you are retrieving is truly large, using the Range header can be much more reliable especially in the presence of connection issues.

Steve
Jul 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Thank you steve, this is what i was looking for. (Range request HTTP header)