When will Casablanca RTW

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM
We have for now decided to use this SDK so I am eager to know when this SDK will be officially released (out of BETA and RTW)?

Great stuff.
Apr 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM
It depends on what you mean by "officially." :-) What is available on CodePlex right now is released under Apache 2.0 and you can do whatever you want with it (as long as you keep the license text). That means using it for production software, modifying it, etc. We will continue to release new versions here, under the same license.

We will also release a snapshot of Casablanca in the next version of Visual Studio, under the VS license. When we take that snapshot, we will also create a corresponding CodePlex release and update the version number on the CodePlex release to '1.0' to make it a little bit more official, but the license will remain Apache 2.0 on CodePlex.

I hope that clarifies things,

Niklas
Sep 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Edited Sep 14, 2013 at 12:14 AM
We are in the same situation as c2c. We find Casablanca perfect for our needs and would like to ship our production release with it.

I am glad to see from your reply above that there is no reason to be concerned because of licensing. My question is this: I understand that Casablanca is a port of the ppl class that is available in Visual Studio 2013 to Windows 7 and linux. If Casablanca support and development should be discontinued by Microsoft, our code would only require minor modification to use the ppl class shipping with Visual Studio 2013, and the only additional restriction on the deployment would be that the target platforms must be able to run .Net. As a minor restriction, we would also have to develop with Visual Studio 2013. Specifically, I would like to make sure that ppl will work on XP and Windows 7, not just Windows 8.

Is this correct? We want to continue with our use of Casablanca, but if Microsoft discontinues Casablanca we want a way to move forward without a major rewrite assuming that our target platforms are Windows based.
Sep 14, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Edited Sep 14, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Hi,

I'm not sure where you get the .NET restriction from -- is this something that your environment requires, or is it something you believe VS 2013 requires for use of PPL? If so, that's not the case, PPL has nothing to do with .NET.

Having the full source code is the ultimate insurance against a vendor discontinuing support.
Niklas