How to set up the BlackJack sample code on Visual Studio 2013

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:08 PM
Edited Jun 14, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Hi,

Disclaimer: I'm not entirely familiar with C++ (but I have used other programming languages). So bear with me if I might not get some of the C++ specific syntax or structure.

1)
I've downloaded the source code in a zip file - but I noticed that there are the following files:

casablanca110.desktop
casablanca110.WinRT
casablanca120.desktop
casablanca120.WinRT

Are those the executable files? If so, would I be able to run the Samples (i.e. BlackJack sample) through them? I'm mainly trying to run/use the Blackjack samples but I'm not entirely sure how to set it up. Any advice would be appreciated!

2) I downloaded your source code in a zip file, and realize that the source code shown on the website https://casablanca.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest is not the same as the source code downloaded from zip. The Blackjack sample is missing the BlackJack_UIClient. So to run BlackJack sample, where would the entry point be?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2014 at 5:40 PM
Hi awong,

1) The files casablanca110.desktop etc are Visual Studio Solution files. They provide a structure to organize projects in Visual Studio. You can build this solution to obtain the executables for the samples (BingRequest, BlackJack, SearchFile etc).

2) The source code you are seeing could be from the master or development branch on CodePlex. We continuously push changes to the development branch. Hence, the version you downloaded could be slightly older.

To run the BlackJack sample, build the casablanca<vsversion>.desktop solution. From the binaries drop, you will have to start the Blackjack_Server first and then start the BlackJack_Client. BlackJack_UIClient is WinRT only, hence it will not be present in desktop solutions. BlackJack_Client is a command line client which will work on desktop.

I would suggest starting with some of the simpler console application samples like BingRequest and SearchFile and then moving on to the BlackJack one.

Thanks
Kavya