Listener stopped working on Azure

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Hi,

I have posted the following question on the Azure services forum since I am suspecting this has something to do with the Azure infrastructure.

I am using cpprest listener, so I am reposting here in case it helps someone in a similar situation, or if someone has something to contribute.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsazure/en-US/0be7fdb9-6adf-4c90-a4e3-c5dc31255c29/worker-role-stopped-working?forum=windowsazuremanagement

Yiannis
Feb 26, 2014 at 11:27 AM
OK, it turns out that the problem stems from the fact that I deployed the listener compiled with v120 c++ compiler while using the old Casablanca infrastructure (CasablancaHost110.exe).

I (apparently incorrectly) made the assumption that as long as there are no problems with the vector<string_t> arguments in OnInitialize the listener would work.

The problem got solved by compiling with the v110 compiler (which now means I'll have to fork a couple of our libraries that use new c++ features).

What perplexes me is that this setup works both on my Win8.1 dev machine and a 2012R2 server but not on Azure, does this make sense to you?

I appreciate you folks are quite busy at the time so the server bits have been left behind somewhat. Given that the library is now cross-platform what should we expect in terms of deployment to Azure, especially from Visual Studio? It sounds like it might be a job for a different team at MS but, to your knowledge, is that going to happen any time soon?

From what I can see CasablancaHost110.exe is quite small, so I assume it doesn't do all that much. Would you be so kind as to share its source code so that we can modify it accordingly? The rest of the infrastructure appears to work fine with the latest cpprest library, it would be nice to have a way to deploy the latest bits to Azure.

Yiannis
Coordinator
Mar 1, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Hi Yiannis,

I'm impressed you are using some of the older pieces of Casablanca :)

I haven't used the CasablancaHost executable that we used to ship in a little while so I'm not sure off hand why you are seeing that behavior. At this time we don't have any plans to pick up and continue work on deploying to Azure. I will say however that we do try to focus on what we think the most number of customers want and will benefit from, so you can open a feature request and maybe we would if we think there is enough interest support.

I'd be interesting hearing a little more about how you are using Casablanca right now, in particular on the server side. If you are willing to share could you email me at stgates at Microsoft dot com? I can't seem to find a great way to post it here to this discussion but if you email me I'll share with you a zip file containing the hosting code, keep in mind though it isn't supported but you can feel free to use it.

Thanks,
Steve
Mar 1, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Hi Steve,

Yes, old though those pieces might be, they make deployment to Azure so much simpler... And especially for worker roles where IIS isn't involved, I think no other solution beats Casablanca in terms of simplicity and reliability (this would be absolutely true IMO if C++ included standard libraries for DB manipulation, but close enough...).

I will drop you an email you with more details.

Many thanks,
Yiannis
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2014 at 2:13 AM
Hi Yiannis,

FYI, I opened a feature request for Azure deployment/hosting support.

Steve