build system modification for OSX

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:44 PM
My platform is OSX with clang and libc++.

I was looking at your makefiles to see what it would take to get them to work on OSX. I notice the following needs...

1) enhance your build system so that I can specify the locations of my copies of your dependencies (headers and libs).

2) do not just use the '-l' option to specify libraries. We use static libraries heavily and '-l<libname>' will default to the dylibs (shared libraries) instead of the static libs.

3) allow specification of the platform SDK (-isysroot) in the compiler and linker flags.

NOTE: if instead of using raw make files you use the autoconf system, then all of this will be done for you as autoconf is flexible enough to allow one to specify his own custom linker flags, compiler flags, installation prefixes, compiler versions, and dependency locations.
Apr 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Thanks for the insights and suggestions! We will look into it.

By the way, about a year ago, or so, we had some trouble with clang (the details of which I have forgotten), which is why we used gcc when we built Casablanca for Linux. If you are more successful, please let us know.

Niklas
Apr 3, 2013 at 11:45 PM
I can't build because you have 'pkg-' commands in the makefiles that don't work on OSX. I don't have the time go modifying the make files. You should use clang on 10.7+ with libc++ and c++11 enabled. If you were going to have it work with c++03 for 10.5 and 10.6, you should use llvm-gcc-4.2. However, since your lib appears to require c++11, 10.5 and 10.6 are out of the question. 10.5 isn't a big deal. It is pretty much dead. There are still a few people using it...mainly PowerPC users. 10.6 may hang around a while because 10.7 won't work on older hardware. I haven't looked at the usage statistics lately. Also, as I recall reading, 10.7 doesn't run on any machines that aren't 64 bit. So, you may not want to be bothered with i386 on 10.7.